Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Taylor De La Ossa  
24 year old Michigan based dark comedian with the appeal of a beautiful necromancer.


I met this little witchy girl whilst walking to the convenience store, half drunk and on a mission for a slushie and a pack of camel turkish silvers. The neighborhood I live in, especially in the summer, you can't really walk anywhere without running into someone you know or meeting a new person.

We tried to plan a clothing swap party, where you grab all of  your clothes you don't want anymore and trade with other's unwanted items in an attempt to change our styles. We ended up being the only ones showing up and basically just traded with each other. Then this quickly transitioned out onto my porch, drinking shitty beer with my two roommates in a cloud of cigarette smoke.
 




Taylor has been performing comedy since November of 2013, I had learned. She is a regular Mac's Bar comedian, performing whenever her schedule allows and produces / runs a show called Comedy is Fun! Which is a monthly standup showcase at The Fledge.

" It's billed as a shit show of standup and more," she explained, " but mostly stand up. "

Recently Taylor had her first comedy writing submission published on the website Reductress!, a personal favorite satire website of mine.



Taylor has an ever- growing resume of theatre performances as well. Just recently she was in a short film  that won the Fortnight Film Contest as part of the Capital City Film Festival: A Shred of Evidence.

" Other than that, I go to school and work a shit job like everyone else. " Her modesty in this statement! I can hardly find the time to do my laundry outside of working my shitty job. " I love reality tv. I eat that shit up. Like Rock of Love, Flavor of Love, all of the Of Love shows. " I giggled cause I knew I also had a terrible guilty pleasure for trash tv, " Bad Girls Club, RuPaul's Drag Race, anything Gordon Ramsey does. My favorite is watching shitty tv while eating chinese food," she went on, and I agreed wholly in these indulges.

She mentioned that she was heavily inspired by Seinfeld (the tv show, not necessarily Jerry Seinfeld's stand up. Which trust me, the two compared are complete opposites. Jerry being so clean, Taylor being incredibly dark and " not for everyone. ") She also mentioned inspirations from Monty Python, Louis CK, Maria Bamford, Mitch Hedberg, Andy Kaufman, etc.

I asked her what she felt was difficult about being in the comedy scene. " It's hard. I think the most difficult thing is finding where you fit. I got really lucky and found a great group of comics in Lansing that showed me the ropes. The hardest part of the scene is what is currently regarded as the 'right way' to do things. You do open mics for years, then you work your way emceeing, you do that for years, then you can feature a club, you do that for years, then you can headline. "

"My comedy is dark and weird, so I don't do well hosting clubs," she went on. " Luckily it seems like that route is becoming outdated. My favorite rooms to play are DIY spaces, they're always the most fun." Which I could only imagine they would be. Taylor and I both agree on supporting local shows, or local everything really.

"Comics are very gossipy," she sighed, "Scamps in a sewing circle. I wish people were more kind."

I decided to have Taylor model in a witchcraft sort of theme. I walked over to her house from mine with a heavy bag filled with small animal skulls, teeth, candles, corsets and amongst other delicates, a tall boy of Coors and camera equipment. Listening to Rhianna the whole way to get me pumped up to take sexy, other worldly photos.  We ended up using her very blair witch style basement to take a majority of the photos. Creating a sacrificial-looking scene with lit candles and scattered teeth.


At one point, while she modeled in a velvet corset and thigh highs on her staircase, her cat, Candy Cane, trotted down the steps and posed next to her, wearing a garter loosely around her head. She hadthe same stare as Taylor, two pairs of beautiful big doe eyes.





No comments:

Post a Comment